Monday, July 23, 2012

New Makeup Collection Storage






Ikea Malm Dressing Table $199 AUD
Ikea Myken Mirror $19.95 AUD
Ikea Rationell Wooden Cutlery Tray $14.95 AUD

I bought the Malm dressing table by Ikea yesterday, words cannot describe how much I love it! I used to store my makeup in the top drawer of my tallboy but have always wanted a cute vanity. I was originally looking at the Ikea Hemnes vanity but after testing it instore I realised the drawer is not deep enough for any makeup to stand upright and in general the desk is quite limited in space.

The Malm has a width of 120 cm and depth of 41 cm. As you can see in the pictures, I have placed in some wooden dividers (also from Ikea) and my powders, lipsticks and a few eye products are able to stand upright. Everything else needs to be laying down but the drawer is quite long and I was able to make room for all my makeup! I'm pleased with the set up of everything apart from the lipglosses and eye primers, which I can't seem to get to sit nicely.

I love that since the table is quite long, I can use it as a makeup desk and also a regular work desk with my laptop. One major con about the desk though (an issue I have found with most Ikea furniture) is that the drawer doesn't open up all the way. As you can see in the pictures, there is some drawer space which I can't see properly and have to awkwardly reach for.

PROS
- Glass top, easy to clean
- Long drawer space
- Reasonable price
- Decent drawer depth

CONS
- Glass top slides a bit
- Can't reach back of drawer

I'll be posting a full makeup collection on my youtube channel soon hopefully, but I thought I would give you all a look first! Let me know how you store your makeup!

xx

14 comments:

  1. How exciting! This looks brilliant! I bet using your makeup is even more fun now :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome!! I have the same mirror, its so cute :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely cute, so happy I bought it :) x

      Delete
  3. Looks like a really good desk! :) I was also considering getting the Hemnes vanity as well, but came to the same conclusion as you that it doesn't have enough space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah it's a shame, it's such a cute vanity! x

      Delete
  4. I did a similar thing - I got a white desk from Ikea (can't remember the name, but it was on special at the time) with just a really small drawer under the desktop - I love it! I didn't worry too much about drawers because I had just bought one of those 4-tier storage trolleys from kmart for all my stuff, but I love having enough room to spread out on the desk. My only con is that the beautiful white desktop gets so much crap on it from my makeup, but it's easy to clean so it's ok. When I get around to cleaning up I'll take a picture and send it to you on twitter. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm glad this one came with a glass top so the white doesn't get dirty, but the glass does move a bit which can be annoying haha. Looking forward to the tweet! x

      Delete
  5. I love how organized your makeup collection is! It looks great!!
    x

    mintslices.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to have a vanity/desk where I can sit down and do my makeup! Sadly I have no room for a desk in my room so all of my makeup is in the bathroom! I love the set up you have and I can't wait for your video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, my room is tiny and getting it to fit was a fair effort haha. Thanks :) x

      Delete
  7. I have been looking at this dressing table recently but I think it will have to wait until I move out. I store my makeup in an acrylic box with draws from Officeworks. I'm excited for the video!

    Laura
    www.whitewintersblog.com

    ReplyDelete